Serostim® [somatropin (rDNA origin) for injection], a human growth hormone, is a treatment for HIV-associated
wasting in patients receiving antiretroviral (or HAART) therapy. Serostim®
is the only FDA-approved treatment that is proven to1:
- Increase weight
- Improve physical endurance
People treated for HIV-associated wasting with Serostim® have reported improvements
in their perceptions of their HIV-associated wasting symptoms, including1,2:
- Having a better appetite and more enjoyment in eating
- Positive changes in their appearance
- Improvements in how they felt
- Changes in weight that impacted health
Important Considerations and Risk Information
Treatment with Serostim® [somatropin (rDNA origin) for injection] is not right for everyone. Your healthcare
provider can help you determine if Serostim® is an option for you.
Use the information and resources on this site to learn more so you can start the
Who Should Not Take Serostim® [somatropin (rDNA origin) for injection]?
Serostim® is not for people who:
- Are hospitalized with complications due to heart or abdominal surgery
- Are hospitalized for serious injuries
- Are hospitalized for respiratory failure
- Currently have cancer. Any cancer treatment should be completed before starting
- Are allergic to growth hormone products or any materials associated with the product
Your healthcare provider should know if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding
- You are currently taking any medications for HIV
- You have a history of diabetes
People taking Serostim® have reported the following adverse events:
- Muscle aches
- Joint pain
- Swelling (particularly of the hands or feet)
These side effects were generally mild-to-moderate in severity, and were often managed
by lowering the dose.2 Contact your physician should you experience any side effects
or discomfort during treatment with Serostim®.
Learn more about Serostim® by reading the full Prescribing Information.
- Serostim® [somatropin (rDNA origin) for injection] Prescribing
Information, EMD Serono, Inc., 2014.
- Moyle GJ, Daar ES, Gertner JM, et al. Growth hormone improves lean body mass,
physical performance, and quality of life in subjects with HIV-associated weight
loss or wasting on highly active antiretroviral therapy. J Acquir Immune Defic