Different types of prescription drugs can be used to treat HIV-associated wasting.
These medications have different benefits and risks. Each type fights the effects
of wasting in a different way.
- Appetite stimulants: oral treatments intended to increase appetite1
- Anabolic steroid: oral treatment that is similar to the male
hormone and promotes weight gain2,3
- Growth hormone: Serostim® [somatropin (rDNA origin) for injection] is the only FDA-approved
injectable growth hormone that increases weight, increases , and improves
physical endurance.4 People taking Serostim® [somatropin (rDNA origin) for injection] have reported the
following adverse events: muscle aches, joint pain, and swelling (particularly of
hands and feet). See the Important Risk Information for additional safety information regarding Serostim®
A healthcare provider can help you or a loved one determine which treatment is the
right fit. The first step is learning about the treatment options that are available
and starting the conversation about HIV-associated wasting. Use the resources and
information on this site to learn more and talk to your healthcare provider.
- Marinol® (dronabinol) Prescribing Information. Unimed Pharmaceuticals,
- Megace® (megestrol acetate) Prescribing Information, Par Pharmaceutical
Companies, Inc., 2010.
- Oxandrin® (oxandrolone) Prescribing Information. Savient Pharmaceuticals,
- Serostim® [somatropin (rDNA origin) for injection] Prescribing
Information, EMD Serono, Inc., 2007.