Young white male, not actual Serostim® patient

Discussing Your Symptoms

Speak with your healthcare provider at your next visit about your HIV‑associated wasting symptoms

How do I know when to bring it up with my healthcare provider (HCP)?

Only an HCP can diagnose you with HIV‑associated wasting. Asking yourself some questions may help you decide if it’s time to have the conversation.

Ask yourself:

  • Do I have unintentional weight loss, or have I lost weight without trying?
  • Does my unintentional weight loss affect my health?
  • Do my clothes fit more loosely due to unintentional weight loss?
  • Have my friends, family, or coworkers noticed any changes in my weight?
  • Do I have a loss of energy, along with unintentional weight loss?
  • Do I frequently feel tired after certain activities?
  • Do I need to rest more often, or am I exercising less?
  • Is it more difficult to complete some of my activities?

If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it may be time to talk to your HCP about HIV‑associated wasting.

Getting the conversation started

HIV‑associated wasting can be treated, but it might not always be brought up by your HCP. If you think you’re experiencing HIV‑associated wasting, it’s important to discuss your symptoms and concerns at your next appointment with your HCP.

Here are some conversation starters that can help you begin a discussion with your HCP:

  • I have lost weight recently without trying.
    Could I have HIV‑associated wasting?
  • My friends and family have noticed changes in my weight.
    Could I have HIV‑associated wasting?
  • I haven’t been able to gain weight or keep weight on. 
    How can this be addressed?
  • My unintentional weight loss is affecting my health.
    Is this a symptom of HIV‑associated wasting?
  • I’ve been experiencing unintentional weight loss. I’ve tried changing my diet, but I haven’t seen results. And, my physical endurance is still low.
    Is there anything else I can try?
  • I have less energy and I have lost weight.
    Could this be a sign of HIV‑associated wasting?
  • I’d like to discuss some HIV‑associated wasting symptoms I am experiencing.
    Is there anything that can treat it?
  • I have been reading about Serostim®.
    Can we discuss whether it may be an option for me?

Only an HCP can diagnose you with HIV‑associated wasting.
Talk to your HCP if you think you’re experiencing symptoms of HIV‑associated wasting.

Discussion guide PDF download: help start the conversation with your healthcare team

Have questions ready for your next appointment

Bring our discussion guide to your next office visit to help guide the conversation with your healthcare team.